AYURVEDA IS HOLISTIC SYSTEM OF TREATMENT THAT HAS BEEN PRACTICE IN INDIA SINCE ANCIENT TIMES. According to Ayurveda hormones are considered as dhatu agni.(digestive fire of tissues) they are considered as part of pitta due to the fact that it is carried out by blood (rakta pitta) according to Ayurveda each individual is combination of three doshas Kapha,Pitta and Vatta. When there is imbalance among these doshas ,then disease starts developing in our body. Each woman will have unique symptoms depending on their prakriti. By following a daily and seasonal diet regime, according to your prakriti and living a healthy lifestyle you can bring the dosha back in balance and thus free from the effects of hormonal balance. PRE MENSTURAL SYNDROME Refers to a group of sign and symptoms that occur 2 to 14 days prior menstruation and are a result of hormonal balance. There 4 types of pre-menstural syndrome which can occur individually or in combination.
1. PMS A -- this type presents as anxiety irritability, mood swings, nervous tension and insomnia caused by increased estrogen level and decreased progesterone levels. 65-75% of women experience these symptoms.
2. PMS C—includes craving, headaches, fatigue, decreased blood sugar, dizziness and heart palpitations. Decreases prostaglandin production, particularly PGE. 25-35% of women have these symptoms.
3. PMS D—symptoms can include depression, crying insomnia, spacey feeling. Decrease in estrogen, increase in progesterone and aldosterone. These symptoms are seen in 23-36%of the women.
4. PMS H -- refers to dehydration issues such as fluid retention, weight gain, abdominal distention. Increase in estrogen and aldosterone levels, and a decrease in magnesium as well as ACTH levels. Deficiency in B6 is common in this condition. 62-75% of women have these symptoms.
FACTORS THAT MAY CONTRIBUTE TO PRE-MENSTURAL STRESS
2. Increase with age
4. Decreased thyroid function
5. Sluggish lever or poor bowel function
6. Increased salt intake with decreased potassium intake.
7. Deficiency in B vitamins, magnesium, essential fatty acid, zinc, chromium. NATURAL TREATMENT PLAN
FOR ALL TYPE OF PMS
1. Herbs like ashvegandha, shetaveri, neem, wild yam, dangquai, black cohohs, vitex helps in balncing hormones.
2. minerals like calcium and magnesiumare important in treating PMS.
3. A hypoglycemic diet should be followed to help balance blood sugar levels.
4. Eliminate dairy or red meat from diet, they can aggravate the symptoms.
5. Increase fish and fish oil in diet.
6. Constipation should be treated properly because it can lead to reabsorbtion of hormones in the body. 7. Decrease salt intake and increase potassium rich food in diet like banana.
8. Decrease coffee, alcohol, chocolate intake.
9. Increase exercise and fresh air intake
10. Sulfur amino acids should be increased that is methionine, systeine. Ex. Eggs, garlic, onions and beans in diet should be added in diet.
11. Vitamin B-12, B-6, evening primroseoil helps in decreasing symptoms.